Robert Ehlke email
I started in May 1995.
|Just sitting there reading the Plans and thinking.|
|Cut out templates to use to transfer wing ribs to plywood.|
|After the 4x8' sheets of plywood(Aircraft certified) arrived f rom Wicks spars were cut and skarf joints cut and glued. The skarf joints were cut with a router mounted on a ramp guide with the router able to slide left and right (is it went down the ramp. A jig I got out of the EAA wood working magazine.|
|Work on the spar underway.|
|When spar is done, drilled the holes for metal work. Made the metal, then measured where the wing pinholes had to be and drilled using the metal work to guild me to drill in the right place on the spar.|
|Drilled, then treated the holes and the area that will be under the metal with EV 400.|
|I measured several times, and then several more times to end up at this point, alls well, I guess I got it right!|
|The spars all finished, one hanging from the rafters and the other getting its ribs etc.|
|Some time later, both wings under construction, now out of the basement and into the garage. Just off the left of the photo is the door to the basement... just off the right is a new and much larger window. Always did want a larger window there. Thanks to the wings coming out of the basement and making it necessary, I now have a nice large one.|
|Shaping the leading edge using the guides f rom the plans and a power plane, which really worked good and then cilot... a whole lot of sanding.|
|Leading edge shaped.|
|Ailerons building, Rudder and Elevators complete.|
|Rudder and Elevators.|
|In the wings, tie down hardware.|
|Tie down is removable.|
|Cable for Spoilers and Flaps crimped.|
|Pushrod for Ailerons, the guide.|
|Cable to Spoilers and Flaps, the guide.|
|About all the construction is done.|
|Control surfaces with fabric(Stits).|
|Wings in the hanger at Wausau Downtown Airport, covered(Stits) and Waiting.|
|Air intake and the pitot in. The rudder peddles in and an additional deck (the brown stained wood at the base of the rudder Peddles) put in, I call it my heel deck and foot rest.|
|Metalwork in the fuselage. About ready to f iber glass the top to the bottom.|
|The skid drying.|
|The skid strained, finished.|
The last two, 24 and 25 are the metal measured and put on a board and clamped as firmly into place as possible to try and f ight the wrap as much as possible. I had help with welding. I thought a pro should do this so I don't have to worry about the wings falling off.
I will shoot Photos next of the completed Aircraft put together and awaiting FAA inspection. The PIID here is serial number 171 and the tail number is N34RE. I have just a bit of painting of the fuselage, and fit the canopy... and its complete!
Then there is the next project... a trailer! Because where I go, it goes! I wish I could find a way to take it to Europe in fly in Spain again.
Return to: Marske Flying Wings Homepage
Return to: The Pioneer