Monarch F 2005- the self launch project
|December 29, 2006. After much discussion with Mike Couts I have arrived at what I think is a good layout for an electrci launch Monarch. Note there will be two electric motors mounted on a wing root addition. This addition will also allow the wings to be folded back for storage and trasnportation.
Discussion of the electric Launch can be found below:
|October 13, 2005. The turbulator strips made all the difference! Moving the CG back was also just as important. Both Mike and I noticed a "bobbling" of the elevator at low speeds. To me this indicates the beginning of a stall and this might indicate that indeed we are still nose heavy. We also towing with a line tension of 165 pounds... compared to our notes from the past at 155 lbs. Both Mike and I did not have the courage to really pull back on the control stick to obtain a maximum height tow.
We did get some very nice video of the entire flights both in the air and from the ground.
|Here is a photo of Mike on final.|
|The Monarch has proven to be one of the most enjoyable gliders I have ever flown,,, BUT one does haveto do a lot of refinement from Jim's drawings to make it fly well. Mike and I flew the Monarch F and G extensively but got very distracted by the Pioneer IId which need a lot of work to get it to fly properly ( still an on going process). Our neglect of the Monarch Series finally got to us when we thought of a self launcher and Mat's thoughts of flying the bluffs at his his new home base in Port Burwell Canada. So we have resurrected the old Monarch and are now flight testing.|
|October 2, 2005. Mike and Mat have been getting the old Monarch F back flying after a few years rest. We certainly did not document things very well back a few years ago... I did document the handling difficulties and my various fixes such as the Turnbulator strips on the leading edges, the yaw dampers I developed and the addition of gap seals BUT I did not document the CG location.
Mike and I being advanced fliers and all that stuff could not figure out why the launch was terrible, the handling miserable and it stalled on landing! Most students would have immediately suspected a CG problem... but it only took a number of flights on our part to think that it could possibly be the problem! Needless to say it was the problem and we both feel a little embarrassed! At any rate the problem is solved!
Now this Monarch is the basis for our self launch and anyone can send me their two cents worth by joining our flying wings newsletter.
Mike Couts Landing Oct 2, 2005